Urban Futurist, Former Lord Mayor of Adelaide
Passionate about cities and innovation, Stephen is one of Australia’s best-known and respected contemporary Urban Planners who consults
internationally on future city trends, urban innovation, leadership and creating positive change.
He is considered an international specialist on the future citizen and the relationships between people, technology, infrastructure, society, cities and quality urbanism.
Stephen has worked, researched and attended events throughout Australia and in New Zealand, Taiwan, Europe, the Middle East, China,
India and the USA.
Stephen has a Bachelor of Arts in Planning, Graduate Diplomas in Regional & Urban Planning and Environmental Studies and an MBA from Adelaide University. He the Chair of the Adelaide University Smart Cities Consortium Advisory Board, an adjunct lecturer at the Adelaide University Business School and has worked for the University of South Australia, Canberra University and Flinders University. He has also lectured at universities in Japan, Singapore and Thailand and is an award winning member of the Planning Institute of Australia and a member of the exclusive Academy of Urbanism During his time as Lord Mayor (2010-2014), his emphasis on collaboration with the private sector and State Government delivered many outcomes and saw Adelaide recognised internationally as an innovative destination by Lonely Planet, National Geographic and The New York Times.
Prior to being Lord Mayor, Stephen worked in the South Australian Government and Parliament, in Local Government and internationally as a planner, researcher, educator and speaker. His planning experience is exceptionally diverse; from strategy to implementation on many large projects dealing with most land use types and a diverse range of environment, economic, community, design and development issues.
Lord Mayoral achievements
- A world class city-wide Wi-Fi network
- CISCO smart cities agreement and “lighthouse city” global recognition
- Redevelopment of the city’s primary retail and public spaces
- Increase in city administration & entrepreneurial community morale, productivity and collboration
- Environmental initiatives including an ambitious carbon neutral action plan
- An award winning integrated transport vision, including hosting “VeloCity Global” and several innovative infrastructure projects
- A new city structure plan and development plan to create housing diversity
- Greater city vibrancy due to a focus on place making initiatives and the night-time economy
Speaking, training and consulting themes
- Transport Futures
- Governance Futures
- Smart Cities & Citizens
- Infrastructure Futures
- Great Cities